Sunday, August 9, 2009

No sleep 'til...Baystate


Yesterday afternoon we returned from a lovely if somewhat exhausting family vacation to Cape Neddick, Maine with Gina's whole family. We rented a big old house right on the ocean in the York Cliffs section of Cape Neddick--ocean front property with a short walk to a small private beach. I did a lot of swimming, boogie boarding, kayaking (including one possibly ill-advised 3+ mile open ocean trip in moderate offshore winds to Nubble Light and back with my brother-in-law), building sand castles, carrying small people, walking miles and miles in flip-flops, pushing strollers, going up and down stairs, loading and unloading, cleaning up and, oh yeah, eating and drinking. And very little running.

I counted yesterday and realized there are exactly 10 weeks until Baystate, for which I registered right before we left. Given that I have more than 2000 miles in the bank for the first 7 months of this year and have run my fastest 5k since 2004 this summer, it was probably not a bad time to take a recovery week before I put on my monastic training robes and disappear from polite society for the next 8-10 weeks.

But now it's really time to get crackin', starting with a 15 miler this morning that felt a lot longer than that. Here we go.

1 comment: