Saturday, December 31, 2011

That's a wrap, 2011 stylee

I just got back from my final run of 2011 and it's time to stick a fork in this puppy.  It was a 2.5-mile shuffle with my 14-year-old daughter, Allie, who complained the whole way.  I didn't force her to go in any way, mind you, she's just a 14-year-old girl and that's pretty much what they do.  She was tired and whatnot since earlier I took her along for an hour plus long walk in the woods with Joe Joe the Idiot Circus Dog but hey.

Just before said 2.5-mile shuffle, I did 7 mile warm-up on one of my familiar loops while wearing my brand new, just out of the box, wicked obnoxiously orange Asics Sky Speeds.  Holy crap they're orange.
Orange

All in all I'll call it a good year of running.  It was low in overall mileage, low in racing, but high in fun and I finished the year healthy and mentally in a good way with running.  According to RunningAhead.com I ran 2,498.5 miles for the year.  Yeah...if I had known that before I sat down to write this you can bet I would have found a way to squeeze another mile and a half out of today to make the utterly meaningless milestone of 2,500 miles (Despite all pretenses of nonchalanceI am an obsessive-compulsive whackjob after all.)  Still, that's a lot more than I would have guessed.  A lot of that must have been loaded into the first half of the year though since I haven't had a 200 mile month since September.

I only ran 4 races:  3 5k's and a half marathon. (Wow, really?)  But there was that whole Tour de Vermont thing, which was pretty awesome.  Somehow I squeaked out a 17:23 5k back in the early summer when apparently I was actually training a bit, then a 1:22 half marathon in October after the slide toward not giving a crap was well underway.  I'll take it, all things considered.

I will make an honest effort to race more in 2012 and I'll try to write more as well.  Originally this blog basically just served as a place for me to put race reports which makes 2011 a complete fail as I don't believe I even wrote about any of the races I ran this year (all 4 of them).  The plan is to get back to capturing my races here (this is mostly for myself but if others like to read them that is always nice as well) but I also want to throw out a lot of other thoughts I have about running and the rest of life and how it all fits together.  I can't make any promises but that is the plan.

Happy New Year and happy trails.  Keep on rolling.

1 comment:

  1. Holy crap dude you are blogging again. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete