Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Mill Cities Relay (and a bunch of other stuff)

I woke up on the morning of Tuesday, November 20th (the day after Monkey Weekend) covered in glitter, with a splitting headache and stinging quads, to find I had joined the Greater Lowell Road Runners.

Well, not really, but that's sort of how it happened. I was pretty sure I was going to join GLRR for 2013 anyway, for a bunch of reasons both competitive and social, and after spending all weekend with EJ, Sully, Bash and Eric, the deal was sealed. I came home, signed up, and emailed Jason Bui, who was organizing the club's entries for Mill Cities, and told him I was available if he needed any masters runners.

The next thing I knew I was slotted for the 9.5-mile leg (the long leg) on GLRR's scoring men's masters team along with Titus Mitunda, Carlos Flores, Ken Cain and Keith O'Brien. No pressure.

Long before this I had committed to John Bogosian, who is a board member at the Special Olympics, that I would run the Jolly Jaunt, a big fund raiser for them, which falls the day before Mill Cities. I had initially planned to race it but changed plans to a tempo run once I committed to Mill Cities. On race morning I carpooled in with Chris Ritondo, we did a nice long warmup around the common, and then I ran a nice-n-easy 19:09--a solid 2 minutes slower than my best recent 5k. It was cold, snowy and mostly fun, and afterward our fund raising team, "Johnny's Angels," went to the Bean Town Pub for some post-race refreshments.

Team Johnny's Angels
I've never done a 5k tempo the day before a race but I had a feeling I wouldn't feel any worse for wear on Sunday morning. Luckily, I was right. I had to leave the house early to meet my teammate, Ken Cain, who was running the leg before me. We dropped my car at the 4th exchange (where I would finish) and he drove me to the start of my leg where I met some of my new GLRR teammates and did a short warmup jog before getting ready to roll.

This race epitomizes everything that is awesome about the New England running scene--it is 100% for runners by runners. Mill Cities is a 28-mile, 5-leg relay that starts in Nashua, NH and follows the Merrimack River through Hudson, Tyngsboro, Lowell and Methuen to the finish at the Claddagh Pub in Lawrence, MA. The race is organized by the 20 or so clubs that make up the Mill Cities alliance, and is open only to teams from those clubs. There are awards (bricks) for the top 3 teams in each division, and for the top 3 clubs in the overall championship.

Expecting a 9:15-ish hand-off, I got up front to the exchange zone at around 9 as runners--mostly sunshine starters from the older age groups at first, but then some men's open teams--started to come through. Before I knew it I heard people yelling "66, Greater Lowell" and I jumped down onto the path and got ready to run. I got the hand-off from Ken and took off and just like that I was racing.

Clearly Titus, Carlos and Ken had killed it on their legs because I was in some elite company when I got the stick. Just ahead of me was Joe Navas of Whirlaway's men's masters team, soon after starting I was passed by Pat Moulton running for Gate City's men's open team, and Ben Ndaya of our coed open team. I had to just chill out and relax and not worry about any of that--most teams naturally put their fastest runner on the long leg and we hadn't done that so I just needed to run my race. I figured we were in the top few teams but I wasn't sure where since it was hard to tell who was on a men's masters team that had gone through before I got the hand-off. I was pretty sure Somerville and Whirlaway were ahead of me, and probably Gate City.

The miles were very well marked along the (sometimes icy) bike path and on Route 110. My first mile was really slow (6:35) as I was basically frozen. I left too much time in between my brief warm-up and getting the hand off and I was practically shivering. After that first mile, though, I started to loosen up and everything was between 6 and 6:10, which was right around where I had planned to be for the first 7 miles or so. For the last 2.5, I definitely got down under 6 pace but had stopped looking at my watch and was just running to the barn at that point. I probably got passed by 5 or 6 runners throughout the leg (and passed a bunch too) but I *think* they were all open division folks. So I held serve and reached the exchange zone in about 57:55 (6:06 pace)...where I did not see Keith, whom I was supposed to hand off to. Uh, oh. I stood there waiting for someone to track him down. It seemed like forever but it was probably only 30-45 seconds and we didn't lose any places to MM teams, so no harm / no foul I guess.

I felt pretty good about my run given that I was about 6 weeks past my peak for the season and really should be in recovery mode at this point. It was the perfect exclamation point to a condensed come back season that was only designed to give me a starting point to build on for next spring. Mission accomplished and then some.

I did a short cool-down with Bash and then put on some warm clothes and drove to the Claddagh. The short  drive to the Claddagh was actually one of the coolest parts of the day for me. Seeing that long string of different colored club singlets stretching off into the distance was a cool sight and made me really appreciate all that we have here in the New England running community. So cool.

At the end of the day, our men's masters team finished 4th--so no brick for us. We chipped in 10 points toward the club championship, though, and GLRR wound up 3rd overall.

The Brick
The after party at Mill Cities is pretty epic as far as road race after parties go and it was especially cool since I was meeting a lot of my GLRR club mates for the first time. I am utterly convinced this is the best club for me and I am really psyched for 2013. I'm not gonna lie, I'm already looking forward to Mill Cities 2013.

The after party!

16 comments:

  1. oh, how i wish we had clubs here.

    we used to have a corporate challenge that did a 5k series and had a track meet, and that was very cool, but these clubs, man... that is totally rad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate more and more just how good we have it.

      Delete
  2. Good read! After reading this I'm going to join right now. Been telling EJ for 2 years I've been thinking about it and this was the icing on the cake.

    Bucci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm taking credit for this one--screw EJ, he has enough scalps under his belt!

      My first one!

      Delete
    2. All signed up and I gave you the credit Mike.
      looking forward to racing and meeting some of the GLRR that I don't know already.
      Where do I get my shirt!?!?!

      Delete
    3. You actually deserve the credit Mikey, I had been trying to get 'bucci for a while. But I do get credit for softening him up for your takedown.

      Your first singlet is subsidized by the club, I think it's ten bucks these days. Depending on what is on hand, it's either Asics or Adidas. You can email apparel @ glrr dot net with questions or to order. They can get it to you at club meetings, or group runs, or races, or snail mail.

      http://glrr.net/Apparel/index.htm

      Delete
    4. In the ponzi payout scheme you get credit since I was your recruit anyway, EJ, so it's all good!

      Delete
  3. Well aboard Mike, Another fast Angry Chicken!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fil! Thanks for shipping my warmup clothes to the Claddagh for me.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on a zippy run, especially being out of season. I love the sense of team that you portrayed. How far does the Greater in GLRR go? 969 mile radius?

    Again congrats on the run, joining something and a club brick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GLRR is global baby. Certainly Illinois is considered Greater Lowell!

      Delete
    2. With your wheels Paul, as long as you can see Russia from your front porch you're good.

      Delete
  5. Damned fine run Mikey, I was struggling to finish 5.5 that morning. And I absolutely guarantee that you are not the only one looking forward to the 30th running, MCR is a great way to wrap up the running year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for helping Mike - we are delighted to have you on board!!!

    ReplyDelete